Parents, have you tried teaching your kids how to skate before? It can be difficult, tiring and discouraging. It does not have to be that way though! Make it FUN :) While we are not able to staff trainers, we can give you a few pointers!
- Get the kids excited to go skating! Show them our website, pictures of people skating or even watching a skating movie! Anything to get them motivated to try it out for themselves.
- Keep in mind, our most "family friendly" hours are Saturdays and Sundays from 1 PM - 4 PM. This is generally when families will come in and avoid the teenage crowds.
- Try them out in roller skates first. There are "locked" roller skates for smaller sizes that will encourage a toddler to get the hang of it.
- When teaching your children to roller skate, make it fun by telling them to waddle like a duck. Feet pointed out and walk. Don't make them think that they have to be gliding around immediately :)
- If roller skates just are not cutting it, we offer roller blade rentals for children's size 10 and up.
- If the kids are just unsteady, try using one of our walkers. It may sound silly but it helps them keep their balance and they still get to move! :)
- You are always welcome to accompany your children by walking with them on the skating floor if you do not want to skate yourself.
- If the kids get down right discouraged why not sit down, grab a drink and some snacks then get back on the horse after a few minutes? "Practice makes perfect" after all :)
Do you have children that aren't walking yet? They can still "skate"! Bring in your stroller and you are welcome to push your children along in the stroller. Between the music and the lights, they are sure to be amused.
Now, what if it has been "years" since YOU have skated?! It's like riding a bike! Remember, falling doesn't hurt, its when you hit the ground! :D It is a great work out. It is fun. Just like with the kids, try out what you are comfortable with first. If one doesn't work, try the other. We have sizes all the way through 14 in roller skates and 13 in roller blades.
Please keep in mind that above fun our biggest goal is safety. We ask that you do not pick up your children if you are on skates. This is for your safety as well as the safety of your child.